Starting date: 15th of September 2022
Duration of Contract: 9 months, subject to renewal based on performance and project extension
The Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH is a global service provider in the field of international cooperation for sustainable development and international education work, with 24,977 employees, almost 70 per cent of whom are national staff. GIZ has over 50 years of experience in a wide variety of areas, including economic development and employment, energy and the environment, and peace and security.
In 2021, GIZ’s business volume was around 3.7 billion euros. As a public-benefit federal enterprise, GIZ supports the German Government – in particular the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) – and many public and private sector clients in around 120 countries in achieving their objectives in international cooperation. With this aim, GIZ works together with its partners to develop effective solutions that offer people better prospects and sustainably improve their living conditions.
About GIZ Egypt
Operating in Egypt since 1956, GIZ provides technical expertise, develops capacities and delivers effective solutions in close partnership with local governmental and non-governmental organisations.
GIZ Egypt currently employs around 355 national and 35 international experts. GIZ supports Egypt in its efforts to achieve the “Sustainable Development Strategy: Egypt Vision 2030” in order to create better social and economic prospects for the Egyptian people. On behalf of the German Government, the European Union and other parties, GIZ implements projects in all parts of Egypt in the areas of Renewable Energy and Energy Efficiency; Water Supply and Sanitation, Irrigation and Waste Management; Sustainable Economic Development for Employment; Governance and Urban Development.
For more information, please visit http://www.giz.de/egypt
About the “Employment Promotion Project” (EPP III)
The Employment Promotion Project (EPP III) works jointly with the Egyptian Ministry of Education and Technical Education (MoETE) to improve technical education and the transition from school to the labor market in Egypt. Commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and implemented by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, EPP3 (2020-2023) contributes to achieving the goals of the ongoing Technical Education 2.0 reform of the MoETE and Egypt’s Vision 2030 at large.
The project follows a two-folded interlinked approach: It further improves Egyptian technical education with a focus on dual education. It supports the enhancement of quality as well as the accreditation system for technical education institutions and programs while at the same time developing processes that enable the development of demand-oriented and updated curricula for the dual system. It enhances the sustainable capacity development of technical education personnel and ensures the systemic and systematic integration of the private sector in technical education, which includes but is not limited to the establishment of centers of competence.
At the same time, EPP3 facilitates the transition from school to work and supports young Egyptians find employment. It strengthens the evidence basis for decision-making processes within the MoETE and the information available to technical education students and graduates as well as preparatory school students
about the labor market and their career options. Through a number of interventions such as career advisory
services, exposure to the world of work and placement services, it improves the employability of technical education students and graduates and supports them find employment. To address the future needs of the labor market, it engages in the field of the future of work by enhancing multi-stakeholder dialogues, including the private sector.
The vacancy announced with this post is for the “Transition to Employment”, with a special focus on supporting the Career Guidance (CG) activities with the technical education and students – output 3.
|Job title||Career Guidance Advisor in Alexandria Office|
|GIZ salary band:||Band 4|
|Reports to:||Head of Component|
|GIZ function designation:||Vocational Training and Labour Market Advisor|
The Advisor is responsible for:
- assuming an area of responsibility regarding transition to work services, namely implementation of career guidance for preparatory and technical school students (TSS) in Alexandria and neighbouring governorates, that forms part of the project objectives, team agreements and/or agreements with the superior
- providing professional advisory services in the fields of training for employment of the Technical and Vocational Education and Training (TVET) students and graduates including career guidance and employment services
- supporting cooperation with a broad range of target groups at the regional level, especially Alexandria, including the Ministry of Education & Technical education (MoETE) (technical school officials, teachers and students), civil society and the private sector
- supporting in the identification, development and implementation of new measures, programmes/ partnerships, aiming at enhancing the employability and employment rates of TVET students/ graduates
- coordinating monitoring activities and results for assigned activities
The Advisor performs the following tasks:
1. Advising the partner institution(s) and implementation of project activities
- supports and monitors the development, implementation and monitoring of project plans and activities in assigned governorates in close consultation with project partners
- provides regular technical assistance and coaching to project partners at the national and regional level
- conducts regular field visits to assigned schools in Alexandria and neighbouring governorates, to monitor the implementation of career guidance classes/activities and provide the necessary technical support and coaching for selected facilitators/multipliers
- contributes to the development and delivery of capacity development measures to assigned facilitators/multipliers and the School-to-Work Transition Unit in the Ministry of Education and Technical Education
- moderates and facilitates external meetings
- coordinates the design, preparation and implementation of workshops, seminars and other events on issues connected with component activities
- develops, organises quality assurance measures, and suggests necessary changes, improvements and initiatives
- supports the component’s monitoring system and regularly updates information on progress for assigned activities
- contributes to development of training materials, guidelines, rules, policies etc.
2. Networking and cooperation
- supports, coordinates and maintains regular cooperation and contact with project partners, intermediaries and beneficiaries in Alexandria and assigned neighbouring governorates.
- maintains and expands current project partners/networks such as civil society and private sector entities/companies in Alexandria and assigned neighbouring governorates, including the support of outreach activities to announce the project’s programs for the target group from TVET students and graduates
- contributes to the PR work and cooperates with local communities, private sector, relevant organisations, non-governmental agencies and individuals in the project environment and with other projects to improve and maintain good working relationships
2. Knowledge management
- ensures knowledge transfer to project information
- maintains and updates a regular database of project beneficiaries for assigned activities
- develops ready-to-use strategies and technical concepts, including guidelines, manuals and procedures
- draws up reports and presentation documents
- prepares appropriate input for various project reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the Head of Component and GIZ Head Office
- supports the development of knowledge management products such as success stories and lessons learned with external support if needed
- carries out research activities and studies on economic and labour market issues which benefit joint programmes
- carries out research required for the planning, conceptualization and implementation of component activities
- organizes and updates component documentation
- compiles the relevant information for joint activities and assignments
3. Coordination tasks
- assists with general project planning and develops project concepts including preparation, organization and moderation of planning exercises and their implementation, management, monitoring, quality management, evaluation, communication and documentation
- coordinates relevant project activities at the local level in consultation with the manager and in cooperation with the partners, both as regards implementation and preparing organizational aspects
4. Other duties / tasks
- performs other duties and tasks as required by the management
C. Required qualifications, competences and experience
- University degree in the area of education, international development, social science, economics or a related field. Masters/MSc in a related field is an asset.
- Further qualification in youth employment promotion is an asset.
- At least 5 years of professional experience in a comparable position.
- Experience in cooperation and provision of capacity building activities with public entities on the national and regional levels.
- Experience in employment/employability for youth especially TVET target group.
- Prior experience with TVET students/graduates is an asset.
- Prior experience with general education students is an asset.
- Experience in cooperating with universities and private sector entities/companies is an asset.
- Familiar with developing or managing e-learning training programmes; curricula development; and career guidance and counselling services.
Other knowledge, additional competences
- Excellent knowledge of ICT technologies (related software, phone, fax, email, the internet) and computer applications (e.g. MS Office)
- Fluent in written and oral English and Arabic languages.
- Willingness to upskill as required by the tasks to be performed – corresponding measures are agreed with management.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Capacity to work well in a multicultural context and as a team player.
- Ability to work under pressure and multi-task.
- Approximately 80% of the working time will be in the field.
D. Submission of Application
- Kindly send your applications in English by e-mail to HR-Egypt@giz.de by maximum Monday the 15th of August 2022.
- The application must include a motivation letter and an updated CV in English language, indicating the earliest date of availability and contact details (mobile/phone no. and e-mail address).
- Only applications mentioning the subject title “Career Guidance Advisor – EPPIII – your name” will be considered.
- The position can be filled by the 15th of September 2022.
- The contract is for 9 months, but is extendable, based on a successful employment period and project extension.
- The work location will be at the project office in Alexandria.
- The position is for candidates with Egyptian Nationality, or a valid work permit only.
- GIZ Egypt does not cooperate with any HR service providers that can guarantee acceptance of vacancies. A competitive process is followed, where all applications are reviewed to ensure that all qualified applicants receive consideration for employment. Candidates are only contacted if they have been shortlisted.
- If you do not receive the automated email confirmation acknowledging receipt of your application, please check your spam or junk folder.
- GIZ Egypt is committed to achieving workforce diversity. Female candidates and persons with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.