Through partnerships with the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research (MOHESR), higher education institutions, and the private sector, the USAID Partnerships for Educational Progress activity will transform Egypt’s public universities into world-class centers of learning that prepare and connect Egyptian students to the workforce. This activity will holistically strengthen Egypt’s public higher education system from policy formulation and implementation, through higher education delivery, to workforce entry.
The activity will provide technical assistance and capacity strengthening to the MOHESR, its supporting technical units, councils, and other public entities to increase their ability to offer relevant and quality higher education opportunities to all Egyptians. The activity will also partner with public higher education institutions (HEIs) and individuals affiliated with those HEIs (i.e. administration, faculty, and staff) to ensure that students have access to market-relevant, inclusive, high-quality, modern degree programs and support services that result in smooth transitions to employment. The partnership between higher education and the private sector will support market-relevant higher education, promote work-based learning opportunities, and strengthen research partnerships.
The Chief of Party (COP) will act as the main program representative in Egypt and will be responsible for program activities. In this capacity, the COP will be expected to maintain strong collaborations with local HEIs, sub-partners, and government counterparts including MOHESR and other Egyptian government agencies and stakeholders with a focus on activities that will achieve USAID’s results which include:
- Result 1 – Public universities have the systems, structures, and management capacity to deliver high-quality education.
- Result 2 – Public universities deliver high-quality, inclusive, market-relevant education that facilitates graduate employability.
- Result 3 – Public university campuses provide a modern, competitive environment equipped with new technologies and scientific resources.
The COP is expected to provide seamless coordination with technical and operational efforts to ensure the program is performed in compliance with USAID policies, procedures, and systems. The COP will oversee a team of senior technical, finance, grants, and administrative staff. The COP will ensure that sound management, operations, and grants/procurement procedures exist to deliver technical and administrative services on time, on budget, and with a high degree of quality and fidelity. The COP will work closely with PARI-GDI staff, Purdue faculty, students, and staff working on the project and advance Purdue University’s interests in collaborating with Egyptian academic faculty, students, and staff.
- Bachelor’s degree in education, international development, or related field from an accredited university–Ph.D. highly preferred
- Ten (10) years of professional and leadership experience in similar education intervention activities, and experience managing complex donor-funded development activities in Egypt or Middle East
- Relevant management, supervisory, and technical experience working with programs that are of similar scope and scale to this program
- Experience with USAID reporting guidelines, government accounting practices, and Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR) systems
- Fluency in English
- Strong knowledge of, and commitment to, gender and social equity issues in education
- Strong consultative and negotiation skills. Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and stakeholders
- Demonstrated leadership, effective organizational development, partnership-building, managerial, teambuilding, and communication skills
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated ability to work in complex environments, across different cultures, and manage diverse teams to deliver impact within agreed timelines across a broad geographic area
- Proven ability to coordinate with government stakeholders, donors, as well as non-governmental organizations
- Masters, Ph.D. or Ed.D.
- Candidates with experience in higher education and/or education for employment and private sector engagement
- Experience in the education sector in Egypt or another country in the Middle East is strongly preferred
- Fluency in English and Arabic
- All new hires will be expected to follow Protect Purdue guidelines
- To learn more about Purdue’s benefits summary
- Purdue will not sponsor employment authorization for this position
- A background check will be required for employment in this position
- FLSA: Exempt (Not Eligible For Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: Defined Contributions immediately
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply
About The Purdue Applied Research Institute
At PARI we create leading-edge solutions for complex problems in national security, global development, and technology. Established in 2021 by The Trustees of Purdue University, the Purdue Applied Research Institute is the non-profit applied research arm of Purdue University. PARI co-creates solutions and builds on the deep research strengths of Purdue’s faculty, students, and staff to solve dynamic challenges for the United States Government, industry, and non-profits. PARI partners in advancing applied, interdisciplinary, and translational research in three divisions: National Security and Defense, Global Development and Innovation, and Technology Acceleration, including Digital Innovation in Agri-food Systems Lab (DIAL).
About Purdue University
Purdue University is a top public research institution developing practical solutions to today’s toughest challenges. Ranked one of the top 10 Most Innovative Schools in the nation by U.S. News & World Report, With a $685+ million research enterprise, Purdue delivers world-changing research and out-of-this-world discovery that drive discoveries and innovative solutions that have a critical impact on the nation and the world.