To provide grant management and coordination of the Africa CDC and Mastercard Foundation ‘Saving Lives and Livelihood’ (SLL) programme in 55 countries in Africa. Act as IFRC’s focal point for the, including coordinating relationships with Africa CDC, Mastercard Foundation, IFRC Regional Offices, Geneva and National Societies.
Job Duties and Responsibilities
In close coordination with the SLL Programme Management Unit (PMU) the post holder will:
- Monitoring effective stewardship of Mastercard Foundation funds in line with partner expectations related to implementation, reporting and visibility.
- Support National Society lead applicants in their grant management role towards Africa CDC and Mastercard Foundation
- Ensure that relevant internal stakeholders (technical departments in Geneva, Africa region, MENA region) and National Societies delivering the SLL programme are well informed and compliant with on donor expectations and requirements
- Monitor progress and performance towards deliverables, identify risks and inform management of actions to be taken to mitigate risks.
- Plan, convene and follow up on regular coordination meetings, and provide input to global meetings.
- Share information regularly with stakeholders to ensure that grant requirements are well understood and acted upon, and respond to queries in a timely and accurate manner.
- Lead on amendments to or new negotiations of contractual terms in liaison with legal team and other relevant colleagues.
- Take the lead on gathering and quality- checking updated documentation and budgets to feed into any modification requests, or subsequent year proposals.
- Facilitate review process of revised documents and budgets, ensuring technical teams’ inputs are included and taken into consideration for finalization.
- Ensure linkages, synergies and cross-fertilization with Community Healthcare Workforce programme with Africa CDC.
- Ensure that all relevant materials, documents and meetings are available in relevant languages.
- Provide support to senior management in key internal/external dialogues on SLL.
- Work closely with PMER to ensure that reporting requirements are adhered to, and that IFRC and National Societies provide timely and quality reporting to the donor.
- Work closely with communications to ensure that visibility requirements are met.
- Promote a culture of accountability across all stakeholders.
- Document and promote good practices, knowledge management and institutional learning and advise on lessons learned, best practices and technical innovation to be included in IFRC plans and project designs.
- Travel when required
- Any other duty as required by the Head the PMU
Duties applicable to all staff
- Actively work towards the achievement of the Federation Secretariat’s goals
- Abide by and work in accordance with the Red Cross and Red Crescent principles
- Perform any other work-related duties and responsibilities that may be assigned by the line manager
- University degree in relevant discipline (ex. g. International Relations, Marketing, Humanitarian Affairs, Business Administration, Economics, Finance) – required
- Masters’ degree in relevant discipline (ex. g. International Relations, Marketing, Humanitarian Affairs, Business Administration, Economics, Finance) – preferred
- Relevant professional training courses (Red Cross/Red Crescent related, humanitarian and development sector, management) – preferred
- At least 5 years relevant experience in managing relations with donors and partners – required
- Experience of working with multilateral partners and foundations e.g. European Commission, development banks, specialized funds, corporate foundations and trusts – required
- Experience of managing complex, major grants – required
- Experience of managing Mastercard Foundation funding – preferred
- Experience in managing relations with multiple stakeholders including donors and partners – required
- Work experience with Red Cross Red Crescent, other international organizations, large NGOs and/or governmental development agencies – preferred
- Experience of developing winning funding proposals and grant applications – required
- Experience of developing and implementing funding plans – required
Knowledge, Skills and Language
- Proven grant management skills – required
- Excellent project management and coordination skills – required
- Demonstrated ability to negotiate funding agreements, to structure financial instruments, and to navigate complex funding mechanisms – required
- Ability to navigate complex funding instruments and requirements – required
- Outstanding networking, representational, communication and negotiation skills contributing to a client-focused culture – required
- Experience in identifying and articulating issues, risks and priorities that need to be brought to the attention of senior management – required
- Proven ability of donor communications, proposals and reporting – required
- Track record in producing high quality work within short deadlines and ability to make effective, timely decisions – required
- High degree of discretion, tact and sensitivity in dealing with internal and external clients and stakeholders at all levels – required
- Highly organized, with ability to work a strong team player – required
- Ability to coordinate with teams based in different geographic locations – required
- Ability to work in a multicultural, multilingual, multi-disciplinary environment – required
- Excellent communication, presentation, diplomacy and negotiation skills – required
- Excellent networking and relationship building skills – required
- Strong budgeting and finance management skills – required
- Demonstrated skills in analytical and strategic thinking – required
- Track record in producing high quality work under short deadlines and ability to manage competing priorities under pressure – required
- Excellent writing and editing skills in English and French – required
- Fluently spoken and written English – required
- Fluently spoken and written French, Arabic or Portuguese – preferred
- Good command of another IFRC official language – preferred
Competencies and Values
- Values: Respect for diversity; Integrity; Professionalism; Accountability
- Core competencies: Communication; Collaboration and teamwork; Judgement and decision making; National society and customer relations; Creativity and innovation; Building trust