The Principal G&EI is a member of the Gender and Economic Inclusion Team and plays an important role in implementing the Bank’s mandate to promote transition in the EBRD’s countries of operations (COOs). Under the overall guidance of the Director, Gender and Economic Inclusion, and working in close cooperation with G&EI colleagues across all three pillars as well as other departments under the VP3 (i.e. Climate Strategy and Delivery (CSD), Policy Strategy and Delivery (PSD), Impact & Partnerships (IP)), the Banking department and other Bank groups (Credit, Environmental and Social Teams,, Legal, Communications etc) the post holder will lead and coordinate the gender and inclusion actions, with special attention to access to services, sustainable infrastructure including at municipal level in project designs, assesses and monitors the inclusion and gender elements of projects that achieve high transition impact and/or gender additionality. The post holder also designs and leads on policy engagement for inclusive and gender equitable policy reforms. In addition, the Principal Inclusion and Gender Specialist (I) supports the regular assessment of “transition gaps” in relation to gender, youth and regions, which are used to identify operational priorities for project level investments, in sector and country strategies. They support the design and implementation of inclusion related policy dialogue with key stakeholders in the region – governments, regulators, the private sector and other relevant international institutions – to advise on equality of Opportunity and advancement of women reforms and help coordinate policy, technical and financial assistance.
Accountabilities & Responsibilities
- In line with the Bank’s Transition mandate, supports the design, appraisal and monitoring of investment projects and TCs for their impact on inclusion as part of transition and monitors the portfolio of projects with inclusion impact for transition performance, through engagement with Banking project teams and due diligence visits to the region;
- Supports the establishment of inclusion and gender baselines, the assessment of relevant international best practice models and identifies ways in which these could be applied in a project and policy dialogue context.
- Monitors and assesses reform challenges and progress in relation to inclusion and gender issues within the Bank’s countries of operation and leads on the design and delivery of inclusion policy dialogue, through analytical work, contributions towards strategy papers and direct liaison with key senior level stakeholders such as education authorities, private sector clients and strategic partners of the Bank.
- Leads on the development and delivery of inclusion and gender policy engagement programmes, including the identification of key partners, the establishment of policy platforms, the setting of specific policy goals and the delivery of policy priority objectives in partnership with internal and external senior level stakeholders (specifically with other VP3 colleagues based in the Egypt RO, as well as with banking teams).
- Manages the development of inclusion and gender Technical Cooperation (TC) projects (and larger Inclusion TC Frameworks) to support the inclusion elements of projects, specifically in relation to youth inclusion and gender through improved (vocational) education and training or access to finance, supports the selection and management of consultants and monitoring of impact and lessons learned;
- As part of the Bank’s Scorecard, advises on the inclusion element for transition ratings and monitoring of inclusion related transition impact benchmarks, covering projects for the Bank’s Operational Committees (OpsCom, SBIC, and TCCom);
- Contributes inclusion and gender analysis to country and sector strategies discussed by the EBRD’s Board of Directors and relevant sub-committees to deliver results in the form of evidence-based improvements;
- Supports the drafting and analytical work to provide input into management briefing for Board and other Committee meetings, including responses to questions by Board Advisors and, on occasion.
- Supports inclusion and gender capacity building within the Bank, specifically in Banking teams and Regional / Resident Offices, through presentations, inclusion and gender workshops and seminars. Maintains a strong awareness of the international debate on gender, inclusion, skills and inequality issues;
- Represents the Bank at inclusion and gender related fora and other events (e.g. conferences, dialogues with IFI counterparts, government officials, think tanks, etc.) to develop and spread best practices.
Knowledge, Skills, Experience & Qualifications
- At least Masters degree in Development Studies, Gender and/or or relevant Social Sciences. ;
- Substantial progressive responsibility mainstreaming gender and inclusion in projects in international organizations in a variety of sector with experience in supporting private and public sector;
- Strong social analysis and research skills including command of quantitative and qualitative methods of research, and knowledge of gender and inclusion issues in a variety or regions;
- Knowledge and experience applying results-based approaches to project and program management;
- Excellent oral and writing skills in English. Strong communications skills in Arabic will be considered an advantage;
- Fieldwork experience in EBRD countries of operations will be considered an advantage;
- Ability to think strategically, and to innovate, results oriented, ability to work under several deadlines simultaneously;
- Ability to work in a multicultural team.